awards

By: Noel Runkle

View Profile
Nov 17, 2014 | Linhart Blog, Our Business

6 Tips to Better Email Campaigns

People are still reading email.

A new set of data is out from Forrester Research and the numbers are clear; people are still reading emails.

The headline in Forrester’s data notes 42% of people “delete most email advertising without reading.” While that sounds bad, it is actually pretty promising; 58% of people are giving your emails a chance.

With that in mind, I’ve put together a list of six things you can do to make your emails more likely to be read.

1. Frequency: 49% of respondents say they receive too many email offers and promotions, which suggest consumers don’t want high frequency. Determine a campaign schedule that allows you to share updates with your subscribers when have something interesting to say. Which leads me to number two…

2. Something Interesting: 24% of respondents listed email as a “great way to discover new products and promotions”. This is huge: one out of every four subscribers wants to hear about your new products via email. Don’t miss out on this opportunity. Create a campaign dedicated to the launch and don’t make fans scroll to the bottom of your email for the good stuff.

3. Segmenting: Only 7% of email subscribers are looking to buy things advertised through email. This is where segmenting your list comes into play. The 7% of your list who are interested in buying are very valuable, but you don’t want to alienate the other 93%. Sending campaigns designed to identify the 7% will allow you to target them with more aggressive sales messaging while also keeping the other 93% of your readers happy.

4. Send to a Friend: 12% of respondents sometimes forward emails to their friends. If you’re looking for an organic way to grow your list, creating highly shareable email campaigns is a fantastic option. Look for ways to make your emails interesting enough that people want to share. That may be announcing something exciting, including amazing photography or even just a great deal.

5. Design for Mobile: People are reading your emails on their phone and tablet. Make sure that you emails are legible on those smaller devices and make sure the content you link to is mobile friendly as well.

6. Unsubscribe: I saved the worst for last. It’s sad to see readers unsubscribe, but that doesn’t mean you shouldn’t let them. 24% of respondents find unsubscribing difficult and that isn’t good. Sending an email to someone who doesn’t want it is a quick way of losing a fan or further angering a foe. Be sure to do your part with a clear unsubscribe link and simple unsubscribe process.

Learn more here.

send-better-email

 

Contact

1514 Curtis Street | Suite 200

Denver, CO 80202

303.620.9044

Connect

Connect

Our Global Reach

How can we help your business?





Your Name (required)

Your Email (required)

Phone

Subject (required)

Your Message (required)

1+1=? 

Our Global Reach