Facebook Live allows users to have an engaging conversation with their followers, reach new audiences in new ways, connect with people instantly, and tell their stories the way they want them to be heard.
When Facebook Live first rolled out early last year, it was only available to verified celebrities and paid partners, like BuzzFeed. Do you remember when they shared a 45-minute live video stream of trying to make a watermelon explode using rubber bands? (Here’s the link to jog your memory). At its peak, more than 800,000 viewers had tuned in to watch. From there, the popularity of Facebook livestreaming was born.
Today, Facebook has more than one billion users and, according to initial data, these users are 10 times more likely to comment on a Facebook Live video than on regular videos.
Before you launch your brand or company’s first Facebook Live, consider these five tips from Ragan’s PR Daily and Forbes to ensure it’s a success – meaning viewers tune in and want to come back for more.
- Prepare your message. Figure out your message before you go live, and get to the point quickly. It’s important to plan ahead – and, in some cases, script out the video content and cadence – to deliver a professional and intriguing live stream.
- Let your followers know in advance that you’re hosting a live video. It won’t do you much good to broadcast if nobody’s prepared for it. Make an announcement –preferably several announcements – to let your users know what they can expect and when to tune in.
- Know your environment. Determine where the best place is to film, ensure you have a strong Wi-Fi connection, and test the audio and visual before you go live to prevent technical difficulties.
- Write a compelling video description. Viewers will typically read a description before they tune in, so make sure it’s accurate, exciting and conveys the benefit of watching to encourage participation.
- Engage with your viewers live. Show appreciation to your followers and attract new ones by engaging with them. Ask for feedback, respond to questions and make the experience as hands-on as possible.
Interested in adding Facebook Live to your social channel marketing mix? Contact me at email@example.com.